Wednesday, September 4, 2013

A year? Really?

Well, again I've been AWOL on here for a long period of time, so I should probably give a bit of an update:

Firstly, the BGB AKFX and VOCX 246 have both been finished, with both stored away for when I get a layout. Taking the AKFX's place on the bench (and beside the VOCX out of the way) is an AR Kits NLGX van that I'd made the body for but hadn't put any detailing on. This wagon has now had the brake details applied and is ready for painting...

After the NLGX is a complete re-do of an AQKY two-pack container flat, after I ditched the first attempt after the holes above the center bogie were getting too difficult. The new one is being completely scratchbuilt from styrene, and while it will probably take longer it should also come out better.

On the loco front, a recent addition has been second-hand C507 which because I already have a 507 (which doesn't run) will be renumbered to 501 with a Bill's Billboards decal set. There have also been some other additions in the form of NR85 in SS, 57 in SeaTrain, 6 in NRC grey and DL's 42 and 47 in AN and NRC Arrow liveries respectively.

As an aside, I'm toying with the idea of making a dual layout, with one being 1990's Victorian and the other side being Modern-era South Australia, preferably around Snowtown or Nantawarra. That will require a fair bit of thinking....

A couple of pics of the NLGX...



Thursday, August 16, 2012

An update to mark 5000

Hi all, not much has been happening here for a while, VOCX 246 has sat on the bench for a while now awaiting the weathering brush, while the items from Stawell haven't yet been touched. What has happened though is a bit of headway on my BGB AKFX structural wagon kit the I got from the Bendigo exhibition back at Easter.

 Aside from that, the only real activity has been in N scale, with trying to get Dynon looking right, as well as adding in a grain mill to better separate the metro style section from the bush.

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Stawell exhibition

Hi guys, just a quick post tonight, after attending the Stawell model rail exhibition today, my family and I spent the rest of the day in the area chasing trains. Trains 'captured' were XR's 555 and 559 on a Geelong bound grain, NR's 2, 93 and AN1 on 4PW4, NR11 and 81 on 6BA6 and NR58 and 53 on 6WP2.

Anyway, back to the exhibition. I didn't take any pics, but I did get 2x C class air-con and antenna mods for my C's, 5-chime horns for X50, a RMM VQFX kit that will replace my scratchbuilt VQFY, and a Rail Scale Models ELX kit. All from Rail Scale Models and for under $100, which isn't too bad considering that the ELX kit cost $50 on its own!

Link to my flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/greensleeves94/

Friday, June 22, 2012

Hi all, just a quick post tonight with the shots of ABFX/RBFX vans and AOOX/ROKX opens I posted about last night, as well as RLEX 960 L. Enjoy!












Thursday, June 21, 2012

An update? Really?!

Hi all, this being my first post in about 7 months, I guess you could say that a fair bit has happened. First of all, my layout (or bunch of tracks, to be accurate) has been packed up, with the wagons and locos stored in boxes, including about 5 Auscision storage boxes (at $35 a pop from memory, your bank account doesn't like it) and tucked away. The reason for this is simply not enough time or space to be using it unfortunately. On the bright side, my bedroom is now a whole lot easier to move around in!

The packing up of the 'bunch of trackwork' has not meant the end of collecting stuff for me though, in fact, quite the opposite. Since packing it up, I've collected a pack each of Auscision ABFX vans and AOOX open wagons (since weathered/renumbered/recoded, and had the proper boards fitted), an On Track Models VLNX pack (I'm yet to weather these, and 22 will need renumbering to fit in my time era), a BGB AKFX kit that hasn't progressed past a removal-of-flash stage, and today, a Powerline VOCX in VR livery, which is to form most of the rest of this post.

So, the first priority for me with the VOCX was to swap the (frankly ugly) bogies provided for a much more appealing set of SEM ones. The SEM bogies required quite a bit of filing out before they would fit over the bolster of the wagon (like Austrains/Auscision models, it has a tube coming out of the bolster, which the bogie then sits around in order to keep it from sliding around). Eventually, they fitted, and with a washer under each end to boost it in height a bit, I compared its coupler height with that of RLEX 960 (more on that later), and found all is well.








I must say, it looks a whole lot better even now, with those ugly Powerline bogies removed! Whats left for it is to paint out the VR logo, and weather it. Then, I'll fit a permanent tarp to it, to hide the fact it has no internal detail. Overall though, it is actually quite a good wagon.

Now for RLEX 960 L. This wagon was formerly my VLEX 984 V, a BGB kit that I got already made, superdetailed, and ready to run. After having it for several years, I've finally got around to numbering it to a VLEX/RLEX that actually still had the VR logos in my time period (1990-1994). After seeing a picture of an RLEX (960) on Booksvic's (Norm Bray's) flickr, that, I decided, was what 984 was to become. Now, having been renumbered and recoded, all it needs is a good dose of weathering, and its ready to go back into storage, waiting for when I can make a good layout for it to run on. Hopefully that happens soon.

Until next time, Greensleeves.

Sunday, November 27, 2011

A lazy Sunday afternoon

Hi all, for my first post in ages, I'm going to share pics of today's project, the weathering of C507:




Wednesday, October 26, 2011